The Gispoteca of Possagno
The Gispoteca of Possagno, the largest in Europe, brings together the enchanting historical and artistic legacy of Antonio Canova. The Gipsoteca was created at the behest of Canova's half-brother, who had a building constructed to house the plaster versions of works present in the Roman studio of the great Neoclassical sculptor. The Gipsoteca in Possagno in the province of Treviso houses the original plaster models from which Canova created his sublime marble sculptures, many of which are seen in the world's greatest museums. These masterpieces were transported from Rome to Possagno. The building was designed by the Venetian architect Francesco Lazzari. Damaged in the First and Second World Wars, the building has undergone many changes. The current layout is due to the work of Giovanni Battista Sartori, reflecting his museological spirit. In 1957 another building was constructed, thanks to the painstaking work of Carlo Scarpa, with the aim of enlarging the Canova heritage by bringing to light works which had remained in the storerooms.